Thursday, September 2, 2010

Living in a whole new day

"Times, they are a-changin", lyrics from an old Negro spiritual capture the heart of the days in which we live.

We are seeing destiny right before our eyes. It's hard to believe that just a moment ago I was asking mom for an apple, after I had attempted to smoke a grape-vine with my friend Joe. As usual, mom was on top of the mischief of her only boy...and I was dead meat. Mom said, "All right son, go in that bathroom and kneel down and repent!" I did it, too, partly because I respected her, and partly because I was afraid that if I died having committed such a heinous sin as smoking grapevines, that I would surely go to hell. So that fear of God kept me on the straight and narrow. You know, I'm thankful for my upbringing. For the most part, I had a balance of mercy and grace in my life. As I grow older, now, I look back on those times that I must have caused many gray hairs on the precious head of my mom, but I remember and reflect upon the good solid teaching of God's word that I received as a child from my parents. My dad would often read long passages of Scripture (or so it seemed to me) just before we would say our prayers for the night.

Today, we scarcely seem to have time to even see our family any more. But God has provided something even more marvelous...Facebook, and Twitter, and our own Blog to boot. Just this week, I reconnected with old friends from the past, and left messages for friends we have met from around the world. The world is smaller than ever. I don't have to jump on a plane and see the world. The virtual world is right at my fingertips.

So what? you say. Take advantage of this day to connect or reconnect with friends and family. We're living in a whole new day. It's a new season, it's a new day.

No comments: